How to Conquer Word Formatting & Styles to Save Time & Create Better Legal Documents
This class is designed by lawyers, for lawyers & legal support staff!
Bring your laptop with Word if you would like to follow along (Laptop not required). You need the desktop version of Word for Windows, or Mac, loaded on your laptop device. The version of Word that runs on an iPad, Android tablet or Chromebook is missing 75% of the functionality we will cover. Note, following along on your own laptop is certainly not required, but it helps with retention of the material.
Sample documents will be available for download in advance so you may follow along with the exercises we will go over in class. The seminar will be taught using Word 365/2019 for Windows. The course materials cover Word 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and Office 365 for Windows. However, if you are a Mac user, we also have separate manuals for Word for Mac 2016, 2019, and Office 365 which you can download and follow along. Word for Windows and Word for Mac have slightly different interfaces, but they are capable of most of the same things with some minor exceptions.
As an ancillary benefit of attending the training, you will also be entitled to FREE Word technical support for the 3-days immediately following the seminar you attend (rendered via email, phone, and web meeting where appropriate.
How To Fix Word's Default Settings
- Fix Word's formatting and programmatical defaults once and for all
- Improving Word's interface
Advanced Font & Paragraph Formatting
- Proofing - spell check, auto correct, grammar check & thesaurus
- Word's formatting methodology explained in plain English
- Tips for working with long legal documents
- How to strip formatting from wayward text
- Inserting symbols, non-breaking spaces & hyphens
- Automatic paragraph spacing
- Holding headings, text, and paragraphs together
- Tabs - types, how they are used, best practices for signature lines
- Indents - shifting text left or right while maintaining proper alignment
Page Numbering & Whole Document Formatting
- Controlling headers & footers
- How to set up simple to complex page numbering schemes
Styles - Word’s Most Important Feature Explained
Auto Paragraph Numbering & Advanced Styles
- Attaching paragraph numbers to styles
- Building multi-level numbering schemes
- Paragraph cross references which automatically update
Table of Contents & Table of Authorities
- Tables of contents which automatically generate and update
- Tables of authorities which automatically generate and update
Automation & Clause Libraries
- Auto Text and Quick Parts
Protecting Work Product
- Redlining, tracking changes, and comments
- Protecting documents with encryption
Barron K. Henley, Esq.
Mr. Henley is one of the founding partners of Affinity Consulting Group, a legal technology consulting firm focused on automating and streamlining law firms and legal departments. He is an attorney and has been helping other lawyers with technology for 25 years. He earned his B.S./B.A. (marketing and economics) and J.D. from The Ohio State University and is a member of the American, Ohio and Columbus Bar Associations, and the Worthington Estate Planning Council. He is a member of the ABA Law Practice Management Section and is the former Chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Law Office Automation & Technology Committee.
Mr. Henley heads Affinity’s document assembly/automation and software training departments; he is a renowned expert on Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat and HotDocs document assembly software; and has authored legal-specific manuals on HotDocs, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook. Barron is also an expert in launching new law firms, overhauling existing firms and documenting and re-engineering law firm processes. Barron also teaches continuing legal education (CLE) classes throughout the U.S. and Canada covering a wide variety of topics related to law practice management, technology and ethics.
Word Enlightenment: Mastering Microsoft Word in the Law Office
A National Speaker Seminar
6 CLE (NLS) - Tuesday, October 19; 9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
LIVE IN-PERSON SEMINAR - ICLEF Conference Facility, Indianapolis
LIVE INDIVIDUAL WEBCAST - From your home or office
ICLEF • Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Indianapolis, IN • Indiana's Premier CLE Provider