In this dynamic seminar, Stephen D. Easton clearly demonstrates how to effectively focus your knowledge of the conflict and your intense desire to succeed.
Winning advocates view every aspect of trial as a unique opportunity to build and strengthen their bond with the people who will decide the fate of their client—the judge and jury.
Every lawyer—novice or expert—who spends time before a judge or jury will find useful tips and strategies in Thinking Inside the Box. Steve Easton has carefully designed this fast-paced, entertaining, multi-media program to reveal how you can build such strong bonds in the structured world of the courtroom.
Overcome jurors’ inherent mistrust of lawyers. Persuade the judge to rely on your facts and evidence. Marshal the real-world rules (not theory!) to help you tip the scales of justice your way.
Practical and comprehensive course materials contribute to the success you will enjoy after a focused and information-packed day with Easton. His winning track record and his razor-sharp perspective on practice-oriented reality ensure that this will be one of the most valuable investments you make in your practice.
Easton gives you the words and tactics to build and strengthen your relationship with the judge and jury and to help you win your case!
• Increase the odds that jurors choose you…while you are choosing them.
• Personalize the “blind date” of voir dire, and make it enjoyable for jurors and for you
• Use the judge’s credibility to enhance your own credibility.
• Use innovative, powerful techniques to leverage your relationships during closing argument.
• Consciously avoid common credibility-destroying mistakes.
Building Relationships with Jurors
- Thinking like a juror
- Effective voir dire
- Building on voir dire foundation
- Overcoming every juror’s belief that lawyers cannot be trusted
- The truth about ethics and ethics about the truth
- The hidden dangers of objecting
Building Relationships with Judges
- Tips on the care and feeding of judges
- The real-world rules of evidence
- Hidden gems in the rules of evidence
Rules of the Road for Trial Attorneys
- Assembling a strong trial team
- Preparing fact witnesses
Powerful Final Arguments
- Driving home your theme
- Words and phrases with impact
Stephen D. Easton
President of Dickinson State University, Dickinson, North Dakota
Steve Easton is a trial lawyer, teacher, and now college President, who has excelled at trial and in both law school and continuing legal education classrooms. His unique energy and focused approach to litigation flawlessly translate into dynamic, practical and entertaining CLE presentations. He began his appointment as interim president of Dickinson State University Dec. 3, 2019. During a State Board of Higher Education meeting held March 26, 2020, Easton was named the 13th permanent president of Dickinson State University.
Easton graduated summa cum laude from Dickinson State University (DSU) in 1980 with a bachelor’s degree in accounting and a minor in business administration and was the third generation of his family to choose Dickinson State. After earning his undergraduate degree at DSU, Easton enrolled in Stanford Law School where he earned his Juris Doctorate in 1983. He practiced law for more than 20 years before returning to higher education as a professor and administrator.
Building Strong Relationships with Judges & Jurors
6 CLE / 1 E - Wednesday, September 29; 9:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
LIVE IN-PERSON SEMINAR – ICLEF Conference Facility, Indianapolis
LIVE INDIVIDUAL WEBCAST – From your home or office
ICLEF • Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Indianapolis, IN